4 Heros In Pottsville | News
4 men from Pottsville are being called heros. Officials say they’re responsible for pulling victims out of a smoke filled apartment Sunday night. That apartment had barely any oxygen left.
Looking at the outside of the apartment building on Mahantongo Street in Pottsville you’d never realize that Fire Chief believes 2 people could have died in a fire.
Chief Todd March said a grease fire on a stove did some damage and 2 people lived here and were sleeping at the time.
“The fire just ran out of oxygen and went out but people laying down sleeping, reduced oxygen in the air and carbon monoxide it just put them out .”
Tyler Brake is uncomfortable being called a hero. Tyler and a neighbor were the first through the door to save the unconscious couple. Brake said 2 off city firefighters helped too.
“I felt the door the back of my hand and it was a little warm and i took my shirt off and put it around the door handle and just saw them laying there and pulled them to safety.There was a lot of smoke I couldn’t see my hand 6 inches in front of my face i couldn’t even see it.”
Tyler’s girlfriend Megan Walters said he was brave.
“I am really proud of him if it wasn’t for him it could have been a lot worse. .”
Officials said the 4 will get citations from the city and maybe the key to the city too.
The actions of Tyler Brake and 3 others is spreading on social media websites. That’s why they expect a good turnout at City Hall Monday when city leaders recognize the heroic action of the 4 men.